Very miscellaneous thoughts on learning -- and typing -- a foreign language

As chronicled in your researcher's journal as I researched my history of early lifestyles in South Asia...Sorry, it's long, but may be of interest to anyone starting out learning another language.


Gleaned from a talk with a fabulous grad student in history.

I've been TERRIBLY distracted with a sick kitty, but of course a sick loved one really trumps everything else, doesn't it. Though actually I started studying more German to get my mind off my worries, though of course not off caring for her....There's a lexical tool at http://www.canoo.net (hmm, not working in 2017 so far...) with conjugation stuff that sounds SO helpful! In French I finally had to buy a Starter French Dictionary by Oxford which had some things like that, but computerized is so much better. Now I finally don't need that French thing, but it really helped!...www.dw-world.de has vocabulary podcasts that sound absolutely perfect! I'm trying to restrain myself for a couple more lessons before diving into German podcasts, but the prospect will keep me going....Before our little old lady got sick, I felt like my brain was finally adjusting to learning a new language, much more quickly. Somehow I just could get into a better learning frame of mind. I could feel when I could take in new stuff (best in the AM for me). Though it could also be, one gets to a point when a language really makes sense, and it's easier to build on it then. But I think it was more than that; somehow my brain opened up and was happy to take in new words or whatever. On our patient's good days I'm able to do this again....Though one thing that definitely helped me was -- I used to have stacks and stacks of flashcards, but I would find it so hard to get the info into my head. Finally I realized (everyone's different!) that I needed to see words in context, and then they stuck in my head AND were ever so much more interesting then. Also -- and this has ALWAYS helped me IMMENSELY -- I choose a very manageable number of high-quality resources and use all of them, so they're teaching me some of the same stuff in different ways. I used to read, e.g., 3 biology textbooks for high school biology, and the same time spent studying 3 texts 1x worked much better than 1 text 3x....Flashcards still work for some things for me, though. (My old problem was I put everything I didn't learn in a day or two onto a card, and that was frustrating -- now my much-loved reward for learning is not needing to make a flashcard.) I had a sample flashcard software that was flaky so I didn't buy it and now it's gone, but it'd be nice to find a great one....Lastly -- I used to have lists of things to learn and would go merrily down the list without mastering the earlier stuff. Now -- trained actually by how my French for Reading textbook is set up -- I don't go on without learning whatever it is I have to (plus I occasionally review, at the very beginning of a new lesson, anything from earlier I marked as needing help, or whenever I am really bad at something). The only exception is, e.g. when I've been studying a certain conjugation and it's just not getting into my head and I need a break, I will go on just to the next thing on the list, but then will go right back. If it's still difficult I'll approach it differently, look for help online, whatever. Or just sleep on it and tackle it the next day.



Lastly, he taught me how to make umlauts! He writes, "they are SUPER easy to do on the Mac.  Just press ALT + u (that is, hold down the ALT/OPTION key while pressing 'u'), then release both keys, and then type whatever vowel you want to put the umlaut over (a, u, o).  Check it out: ä, ü, ö.  Simple!!" AND other stuff: "also, did you know you can do all of the letters for French/Spanish, etc, similarly?

I don't know all of them, but... ALT+e + a vowel = é, ALT+i + vowel = â, ALT+~(the tilda) + vowel = è, ALT+n + letter = ñ

And I forgot the esset!! ALT+s = ß

And I think French uses this, right? ALT+c = ç

Anyways, pretty much any letter you need is really easy to type on the Mac.  just google it if there is something i'm not showing you that you need."

Oh dear, now I don't have an excuse to be so sloppy in my typing!
Current time travel apparatus location: New Delhi, India