Perhaps those who follow us will envy us

Or not.

Anyway, an interesting quote from 1785! By John Byng the Viscount Torrington, in "A Ride Taken in 1785" in The Torrington Diaries, about a visit to already-long-respected William Shakespeare's Stratford-upon-Avon:

I...enter'd the White Lion Inn,...where in the yard is the [bust] of Shakespeare....I order'd dinner from a bill of fare...and then [since it took a while to get dinner prepared, I] went forth to pay my obeisance at the shrine of our immortal bard: but first the house of his birth, next door to the Swan and Maidenhead (the old sign), still in the possession of the Hart family....If I had been born in an earlier time, I had done wonders as an antiquary, being self-inspired, and not catching manners from fashion and conversation; but my ideas are, that if I was born 150 years too late, I was, however born 100 years before those who will follow me; and who perhaps will envy me for what I saw and possessed. How do you, Mrs. Hart? Let me see the wonders of your house. 'Why, there, sir, is Shakespeare's old chair...'