Thoughts while rewriting

Years ago. From my journal as I created Lifestyles in Early South Asia, while I was still hundreds of pages from finishing...

Patience, patience...
I've got about 500 pages left of my work with my super rough first draft. Patience is a great virtue for me here; if I hurry through, I'll just have to do the rewrite again. I can't help, though, but compare it with how I was able to edit novels in one weekend when I headed a book line -- but, yikes, the writers had done their work, I had done my work by contracting decent writers, plus the novels were like 100 pages, not 700 to begin with, and also I didn't have to keep 650 very complex pages in mind (in my work's case of earlier eras) except in novel series just to know the characters...
Current time travel apparatus location: The Round Library, Bangalore, India