A Better Library work: preliminaries -- also writing and researching

As chronicled in your researcher's journal as I researched my history of early lifestyles in South Asia...

I've been working through my list of what I want to use at a better library, weeding out a few I no longer need, re-checking if any I still need are now digitized and accessible, and just making my overall list easier to use (like a master list I have now of every single one of the many journal subscriptions to which I need access). So far I've been happy to see that many of them are available at the University of Michigan rather than only somewhere in Germany! though I need to get much much farther along in my painstaking check before actually deciding on a library especially if it's not next door to where I would be staying anyway and would therefore entail a special trip. A couple days ago I was delighted to find a great source -- compliments of my favorite University of Cambridge! their Digital Himalaya Project with Professor Alan Macfarlane and Dr Mark Turin -- on Nepal. I'd really found too little on this whole country to call my monster work a history of lifestyles in South Asia. Yeah, it's a modern country, but I'm talking about the geographical area, which I can't mention just a few times and say I've covered it. Anyway, you can see some about their fabulous sources at http://www.digitalhimalaya.com/overview.php if you're interested.

I plan to spend a lot of today on working through some of the information for Nepal, using them where they fit in my very rough first draft, seeing where I still need more information and adding to my library list if necessary. This is probably the way I'll continue working for some time -- looking at my listed wanted sources, and if they are now available online using them right then within my already-done framework. (Of course even the framework may change some if the facts call for it.)

I've also worked with great pleasure on possible shorter works I could create now I have a very good idea of the facts available. My husband and I heard John Keay speak years ago in India, and I'll always remember this kind and intelligent man -- there with his lovely wife -- saying that yes it takes years and years of research to be ready to write, but that you can draw on that work for years and years too!

It still feels weird to be at this point! Happily weird!

Current time travel apparatus location: The Round Library, Bangalore, India