For a bit

As chronicled in your researcher's journal as I researched my history of early lifestyles in South Asia...

...I'm planning to work on some other projects for the most part, except for a few loose ends for the monster history work I want to get out of the way. This I'm planning for the next week at least, but maybe two weeks. I'm hoping to continue Sanskrit though, and maybe have some fun with French and German as well. I'm basically exhausted with 10- to 12-hour days spent with the history and think that in the long run I'll do better all around if I step back for a bit! I'll continue to work but for 8 hours only, please! and mostly on some stuff that's a bit lighter.

I just read last night a fascinating account by E.F. Benson of his writing process (in his
Book of Months), which he compared to having a disease! Haha. The account includes
The patient takes nothing except his malady quite seriously....Large quantities of what is known as "sermon-paper " should be given without stint by the nurses, and special care taken that there should be in every room where the patient can possibly desire to sit plenty of black ink and suitable pens....He may refuse to go out altogether, or play any game, and here it is a mistake on the part of the nurses to urge him to do so. He may, in fact, be entirely left to himself....Then a change for the worse comes over the patient. The irritability returns, and with it an attack, more or less severe, of...indescribable misgivings. He expresses a wish for a large and settled income....Then [there] succeeds an attack of apparent coma with regard to everything except the disease itself, which is now confluent and completely encompasses him. A series of absolutely happy days ensue, accompanied by great mental activity and enormous consumption of sermon-paper. As soon as this definitely sets in the nurses may make themselves quite happy for the time being....And then the...manuscript, such as it is, is complete—and, personally, he is completely happy for about a week. Then ensues a...period, which is at times brightened by finding that something is better than one thought, but oftener darkened by finding that something is worse than one thought.
It's nice to discover "one" is not the only one who's basically gone into a writing coma when writing completely "encompasses" you!

...I even have a playlist for remembering to stop work before passing out! It's "my Take a Break playlist”…


Current time travel apparatus location: The Round Library, Bangalore, India