An unforeseen problem

As chronicled in your researcher's journal as I researched my history of early lifestyles in South Asia...Note it needs a * GROSS ALERT *



As I mentioned, I often find ancient writings difficult to get through because of how they recommend treating women, and because they're religious. However, I'm now running across even worse problems -- graphic descriptions of beating women, child abuse including incest, and unbelievable stories of religious "devouts" defacating on other humans. Totally unsurprisingly, it's coupled with an apparent hatred of beauty. I'm beginning to wonder if it was a group of completely uncultured ruffians who wrote these stories (earlier works I read were by highly educated -- for their time -- scholars). Oh, well; I'm getting lots of (other) information and it's yet one more goad (too literally for my taste) to speed toward the finish line.
Current time travel apparatus location: The Round Library, Bangalore, India