Musings on work

As chronicled in your researcher's journal as I researched my history of early lifestyles in South Asia...including 2010 musings on computers, sorry!



The purpose of this "diary" is not to complain about say a flu that slows me down, or to grovel with self-loathing on the days when I'm less productive; I try not to do that too much in "real life," and writing about those things only seems to make them worse. (I hope that I do not sound even more arrogant than I am as a result!)

So far this week I finished the 1st of 7 volumes of my copy of the Jataka tales! Though still have a few pages of notes to write up.

I also finished our South Asian history library reorg a few days ago. It's already been very helpful to know where all my sources are.

But I am having to adjust to my much more normal very varied routine. It's less efficient, though I think necessary, and really as I said more enjoyable. It was more predictable to sit down every single morning to zillions of archaeological reports and see what they had to say about the sites in which I was interested, with planned breaks for Sanskrit and French and German study. It's easy to get efficient at similar stuff you do over and over. Now there's still the language stuff, but the rest just depends on where I am in researching my current period in approximate chronological order.

I'm not only less efficient but much more easily distracted as a result of the variety. It doesn't help that I rarely really enjoy the religious ancient writings, which most is for ages here. So many are so abusive of women, for one thing. And it's so sad to think of the past humans who must have swallowed some of the nonsense. In the past I came up with all sorts of tricks to keep me focused (including a reward of x minutes of break for x minutes of work, though I hate having to keep such tedious notes); maybe I'll return to some.

But overall what I really think I prefer is simpler: Just do my best for that day, making allowances for feeling under the weather, and keeping in mind that one page can be packed full of fabulous information and implications for my projects whereas sometimes I can get through 50 pages with almost nothing -- so I either have the thrill of getting loads of new information, or getting through zillions of things on my to-do list, and rarely both on the same day.

I also need to budget not only my money but my time for pleasures like digital music, possibly my chief distraction! Though also my chief ally against distraction when I play certain playlists that help me focus.

Next week may also be easier not only because of getting used to my more varied routine but because I usually break up my physical activity ("exercise") over the week. Physical activity helps one's brain work so much better, but of course the effects wear away so it's better not to do it all in one day. But this week I did it all in one go on Monday, with several hours of carting heavy books all over the library, including up and down to the mezzanine.

I got distracted today with a very long presentation by Steve Jobs et al on the new iPad. I've decided that in its present version it won't be my next laptop. Though I adore its lightweight-ness for travel! But I need something that runs lots of software at once and that supports the trillions of digitized journals and archaeological reports I have and happily brings up loads of documents at once across as large a screen as I can afford so I can compare sources as well as my own notes, written chapters, whatever. I adore Macs and have always had one at home and in my most civilized jobs, and I love my iPods, but this doesn't fit my needs right now though I hope it will in the future because small is wonderful as long as I can still see the print or can make it larger...
Current time travel apparatus location: The Round Library, Bangalore, India